Friday, January 23, 2009

Titania's Palace




Danish children's book author Shane Brox guides you through one of the most beautiful dollhouse palaces in the world; Titania's Palace. It was the name given to an intricately constructed edifice created by British peer Sir Nevile Wilkinson as a dwelling place for the Fairy Queen Titania, inspired by his small daughter Guendolen's imagination. The Palace, which includes more than 3,000 pieces of miniature furniture and treasures, took almost 30 years to complete and was officially inaugurated by Queen Mary in 1922. It was exhibited throughout the world and raised the equivalent of 60 million danish kroner for the benefit of deprived and handicapped children, before it was sold by Guendolen in the late 60's. As her father, she had a good heart too and the entire sales of the palace was donated to a children's home. Today the palace can be visited at Egeskov castle in Denmark.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

I just wanted to say thank you so very much for posting this youtube video.

Titania's Palace was on display in England for some time and I had the pleasure of visiting it as a child. That was the start of my interest in miniatures which I still have some decades later.

I was only young but I dreamed I'd have a house like that one day.

Of course I have never got that house :-)

To this day I still have never seen a house like this one...even Collen Moore's Fairy Castle, which is very impressive, pales into comparison.

You bought back so many memories with this post.....thank you.

Jayne

Tallulah Belle Originals

Living said...

Hi Jayne!
Have you ever seen Queen Mary's Dollhouse? I was impressed by that one.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I appriciate that. I also want to thank you because I've always loved the miniture world. I knew someone once who made some things they sold at these shows and I got to see into this world. Fasinating stuff that I love.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin